Excellent Resource from the Mackinac Center – Michigan Votes A Unique Website that Gives Complete, Concise Michigan Legislative Information:
Michigan Votes gives users instant access to concise, plain language and objective descriptions of every single bill, amendment, and vote that takes place in the Michigan legislature. Unlike any other bill tracking utility, Michigan Votes, is unique because all legislative actions are described – not just those selected by a particular interest group. It is searchable by legislator, keyword, and 50 subject categories, so users can create their own custom “voting record guide.”
Michigan Votes has all these features:
- Concise, plain-language, objective and accurate descriptions of every bill, amendment, roll call vote and voice vote.
- Ability to track all the votes of a particular legislator, or search by bill number, category or keyword.
- Ability to view all the bills and amendments introduced by a particular legislator.
- Ability to post a public comment, view others’ comments, and participate in citizen surveys on each bill.
- Automatically e-mail legislators or others about a bill.
- Ability to follow action in any one or more of 50 different categories of legislation (such asEducation or Land Use or Taxes).
- Ability to sign up for e-mail notifications of action on any bill or subject area of interest, including new bill introductions.
Michigan Votes is a free public service of the Mackinac Center for Public Policy, an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit research and educational institution. Its purpose is to inform citizens, community leaders, business people, media, and public officials about legislation that affects their families, schools, jobs and communities. The site empowers citizens to take a more active part in the democratic process, and hold their elected representatives accountable.